Sunday, January 25, 2009

In support of plastic bag recycling: A letter to the Minnesota Senate

In a letter addressed primarily to Senator Ellen Anderson dated January 14, I expressed support of a measure she had originally introduced in the 2007-2008 legislative session, mandating greater involvement in the recovery and recycling of plastic bags, on the part of the companies who manufacture, or chain stores which distribute the bags. Click here to review what was at one time referred to as SF 2800.

After my initial inquiry to Senator Anderson’s office last fall, an aid let me know that the measure failed to gain traction during the last session. I tried to follow-up on the matter a few weeks ago, but was told only (by the same aid) that the Senator had not yet finalized her legislative agenda. (Senator Anderson has no email address available at the legislative web site… only a web-based form. By now, my hunch is that she reads only the webmail notes which have been passed along by one of her aids. I’ve never heard a response from the Senator herself. So I sent this letter via traditional mail.

In addition to Senator Anderson, I addressed copies of the letter to leadership members of the Senate Committee on the Environment and Natural Resources, including Senator Satveer S. Chaudhary (Chair), Senator Dan Skogen (Vice Chair), and Senator Pat Pariseau (Ranking Minority Member). I also copied Senator Ann Rest, who represents the district in which Julie and I reside.

Click here to read my letter to Senator Anderson. [Note: To protect recipients from spamming, I removed the email addresses from the copy of the correspondence that is shared at the above links.]

© 2009, Mike D. Anderson. All rights reserved.

No comments: